Friday, June 7, 2013

Rubber and Leather and Bears Oh My!

 Trigger Warning: If you have a trigger, don’t read.




            Suddenly, I found myself where no good Moody alum could have ever imagined.  As I joined the stream of people strolling around downtown, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a foretaste of what I had agreed to get myself into.  Amongst the crowd I picked out old men donning leather vests.  I saw a young man wearing a bright lime rubber muscle shirt.  Across the sidewalk were some burly biker men getting ready to “bear” their chests.  And there I was, walking to the same place with them.

            Memorial Day weekend in Chicago not only marks the supposed beginning of summer in the city, but also when the city houses the annual International Mister Leather conference.  I would never had any natural desire to attend such a conference, but last year befriended a self-proclaimed kinkster.  So I decided to take the opportunity to walk a mile in his high laced leather boots—without having to actually participate.  How can you really ever attempt to love someone well without ever getting to know who they are?

                I met my friend Miguel outside of the Marriott.  We had to sign waivers to go into the marketplace.  I grew anxious not with what I might see, but more of what I would have to confront within myself.  I had already cast so much judgment.  I was among probably the most demonized and vilified people already amongst the marginalized…from the way I had been indoctrinated.

                We walked into the marketplace.  The shock factor wore off quicker than I thought it would—the smell however did not.  It was at least twenty times worse than a dirty hipster bar on a Friday night.  The entire room was rank with raunch.  Some people had not showered in ages in preparation (though my director says this can also be the product of a prolonged drug high.)  This reek was mixed with leather, rubber, and the slight aroma of urine.  I found myself taking refuge in the cologne I applied before leaving.

                In the market there were a lot of different things for sale.  Mostly leather of course.  Leather is supposed to bring about this hypermasculinity by wearing it.  It gives off that bad boy persona.  It also feels cool and keeps one warm in the cold weather.  In afterthought, I could see myself looking pretty good in some leather.  Next, there was a lot of rubber gear on sale.  It has two roots.  Rubber can be a reaction to the HIV epidemic where latex barriers really emerged into the scene.  Rubber in this way is the maximizing of latex.  It also has this smooth feel almost like it is a second skin, like one is putting on a different persona—like a superhero (or villain.)  It smells like a tire and this is supposedly important for some reason.  Beyond this were toys (I won’t say more,) instruments for whipping, spanking, restraint and oh electrostimulation (which is actually kind of cool.)  Electrostimulation sends a very small electric current through one’s body such that they could transmit it to another person/object. 

                The people watching though proved far more interesting than the merchandise displays.  There were massively built men wearing leather harnesses.  They also had a tendency to smell the worst.  There were men in leather vests and chaps wandering around.  Younger guys had neon displays of skin tight rubber on.  Most people had on regular dress though.  There was a spot where people could whip each other (gently.)  There were also tables where you could get tied up if you wanted.  One guy was completely restrained with stuff wrapped covering his entire body but his face.  There were also people with handcuffs, collars, gags, restraints, etc. being walked around the market.  Interestingly, I saw one Asian boy who had come to my old small group for a time.  I meant to say hi but he was a little tied up at the moment.  So it goes…
                The only thing to truly make me uncomfortable was the doggies.  These were guys dressed in leather dog masks that would cover their faces.  They had collars with chains attached.  Some had tails put in.  They represent the epitome of submission.  Sometimes they get chained up, put in cages, and well knick-knack, paddywack, give the dog a bone.  On a lighter note, they would play fetch and really just wanted people to pet them.  Miguel pet a doggie, but I just couldn’t bring myself to.  I had a week of nightmares about them.

                My friend texted me that he was out in the lobby, so Miguel and I went to say hi.  He was decked out in his super tight rubber pants.  He showed me this thing he bought.  I smiled and nodded, “Oh it’s shiny.”  I gave him a hug as he left appreciating that I had sucked it up and attempted to better understand his world.  Then Miguel and I left to grab a drink and breath fresher air.

                In retrospect, I’m glad I attended IML.  It challenged my preconceptions about people that I’m ashamed to admit I had.  Sadly the most striking thing at the time was how nice and friendly everyone at the conference was—I had not expected them to be.  People were generally socialable.  If it was a tight squeeze, people were polite and apologetic.  It was not that forced nicety either that I had been used to.  People were hospitable because they chose to be, not because it was expect of them.  It felt genuine.  They even reminded people of their golden rule: if I can’t do it to you, you can’t do it to me.

                My friend explained to me that there is a sense of community within the fetish subculture.  In the evangelical culture, it has become such a buzzword that the meaning of it seems almost lost.  He told me about participating in Rubbersgiving with friends.  Whenever he travels, he knows he can find a place to stay.  There is a great deal of hospitality in the subculture.  People treat each other well.  There is no need to worry about theft when hosting people…someone might end up in a sleep sack though.  So it goes…  For me, it is a model of organic community, which is a sad irony for me.  A small jaded edge in me wonders why evangelical culture so obsessed with the concept of community can often struggle so hard to create authentic hospitality without it feeling manufactured.

                The prevailing assumption is probably that those in the fetish community must have had some sort of childhood trauma which somehow manifested into these desires.  While that may be true for a minority, one cannot apply this thought generally.  IML was not an extension of rape culture—in fact in many ways it was the opposite.  Everyone sets their own limits and boundaries.  Nothing can be done to someone without their permission and must stop when asked.  In many ways this sense of control would be extremely empowering to someone who had experienced trauma.  I also learned that in many cases the dominant and submissive end up switching roles.  In this way, it could be said that this is a better model of submission between partners than perhaps what Driscollism perpetuates.  There is still a lot I don't understand and probably never will, but I'm at least better educated now. 


Finally, I moved further in my journey of confronting my own judgmentalism.  I learned that I care too much about how people perceive me and more importantly how they might perceive people I might associate with.  In my doggie nightmares, I am more concerned with social stigma than the actual doggie.  My friend and I move into a bourgie neighborhood where I get invited to fancy dinner parties by my neighbors (who doesn’t dream about being rich.)  My friend wants to get a dog for our apartment.  I tell him I’m fine with it as long as he’s the one who takes care of it the most.  I go out to a dinner party and when I come back I find that he has gotten an IML doggie and keeps it chained out front.  Immediately I become a social outcast and none of the neighbors will speak to me and of course no more dinner parties.  In my dream I go and yell at my friend, “Damn it! Why didn’t you get a pomsky!” At this point, I wake up.  I guess I still have a lot of growing to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment